Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Gesture / Wedding Plans

Tuesday night

Dream 1: Gesture

My brother Andrew and I were living together, and one of our friends, a guy who was about our age, was visiting us, and his family was there, too. They were Jewish. The friend and Andrew were playing a game of Ping-Pong, and the rest of us were watching. At one point Andrew got pissed off about how the game was going, so he looked at the friend and made a dismissive gesture: he took his right hand, splayed out his fingers, curled it under his chin (palm-side down) and then flicked it at his guest. The guy at the other end of the table took it all in stride, as a typical "psych out" move, but his family was horrified and offended; they thought it was an anti-Jewish attack. Seeing this, I tried to intervene, but muddied things further. I said, "No, that's not what he meant at all! We're Catholic!" This information seemed to prove the father's point. He said, "You're Catholic?!" He stood up, ready to leave, along with his wife and younger children. I immediately backpedaled. I said, "Well, we were raised Catholic..."

Dream 2: Wedding Plans

I was hanging out at the apartment of an old friend of mine, a woman with a Hispanic surname. She and her long-time partner, Jodie Foster, had finally decided to tie the knot, and she was busy with preparations. We discussed how the big step would change their lives.

*****

DISCLAIMER: Dream 2 is not fact; it is fiction. It's only a dream. I have no knowledge of Ms. Foster's personal life, and don't have any interest in it.

Dream 1:

Actually, I think that the gesture in question is of Italian origin. I must have seen it in many movies and TV shows, notably "Moonstruck."

Dream 2:

Now I guess I've hit the lesbian story trifecta.

*****

Today marks a year since I began typing up my daily dreams (for the second time). It's been interesting, but it is hard work keeping up with it day after day. I'll keep the blog up and running, but I intend to slow down, and make occasional posts from now on, when I have dreams that I find particularly interesting or strange. In the meantime, I've gone back and compiled some data about my dreams of the past year.
Below is a list of the Top 10 people who showed up most frequently, or regularly, in my dreams over the past 12 months. (I didn't count every dream in which these folks appeared, but rather, counted how many months in which these people showed up at least once.)

1. Andrew C. (12 months out of 12)
2. My wife (11/12)
3. Dad C. (9/12)
3. Mom C. (9/12)
4. Jimmie C. (8/12)
5. Bruce Springsteen (7/12)
5. Eddie M. (7/12)
5. Gordon S. (7/12)
6. Jennie S. (current boss) (6/12)
6. Preston W. (6/12)
7. Brent L. (5/12)
7. Ed B. (5/12)
7. Rod S. (old boss) (5/12)

None of this surprises me all that much. These are the people that I think about the most, anyway. I do wish I could knock those managers out of my sleeping moments. On the other hand, I am a little surprised that I dreamed about Frank Sinatra in 3 out of the past 12 months...

1 comment:

4mastjack said...

It's funny, but I think of that gesture now in a specifically Catholic setting, actually.

Was back in 2006, at the Cathedral in Boston. United States Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia made the gesture, was photographed doing so. There is debate as to the level of offensiveness or obscenity that the gesture carries.

The photographer also claims, though, that Justice Scalia also exclaimed, "Vaffanculo" as he did it. Classy guy, that Scalia.