Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Chop

Sunday night, 8/3/08, in Maine

It was the present day, and I was in a western mining town, where archaeologists were excavating an old graveyard. I saw a few guys moving old coffins and stuff. The top layer of ground was littered with coal. I had my ax with me, so I thought I'd help out. I swung it over my head and into the ground -- "THUNK!" It hit something hard. I called out, "I've got something!" and several guys came running. I lifted up a cool old tombstone, made of wood. After the excitement of that abated, I looked down where I was digging and was horrified. Yeesh. I saw two open coffins with skeletons in them. One was laid out vertically at my left. The occupant was still wearing some 19th century clothes, but he was a bleached white skeleton. The same was true for another burial at my right. Furthermore, the man to my left had a big hole in the back of his skull. I wondered, "Was the poor fellow shot, or did I do that (with my ax)?"

No comments: