Saturday, November 15, 2008

Copernicus / Taxi

Friday night, November 14, 2008

Dream 1: Copernicus

I was concerned about possibly being laid off from my job, and was trying to figure out what to do about my future. I needed some advice, so I decided to go and talk with a local priest. He was the principal of a Catholic school in town, and both he and the school had a good reputation. I arrived at the school, took a seat outside his office and waited for my turn to see him. The walls outside his corner office seemed to be made of painted cinderblocks, and contained large photos of the priest speaking at a graduation ceremony; he was a Caucasian man, probably in his late 30s, with black hair, and he was a little shorter than I am. Truth be told, he reminded me a little of Tige Andrews from "The Mod Squad." Another wall contained his resume, painted in large black letters, in case anyone wanted to know.

As I waited in line, two women sat to my right. One of them leaned over and said, "Excuse me, do you know how to spell Copernicus?" I spelled it out for her, and she was quite impressed. She smiled, shook her head and said, "Wow. That's amazing."


Dream 2: Taxi

My wife, our friend Arina and I were in our blue 2007 Honda Fit, and were heading out to get breakfast at a local restaurant. The Fit in the dream was identical to the real thing except for one thing; the Fit in the dream had Internet access, and allowed me to type on the right front door.

I pulled over to the curb because I had an e-mail that I just had to type, and it was going to take a while. My wife and our friend were not amused, so they got out and took a walk around some sort of outdoor craft fair, or festival. I typed and typed and lost track of time. Finally, I came to my senses and drove around looking for the other two; I was getting really hungry. By that point the weather was warm, and I happened to have the windows down, so as I approached them I heard my wife say,
"This is ridiculous. We should just go home and get something to eat." I stopped right next to the curb where they were standing and my wife said sarcastically, "Our taxi's here." She and Arina got in -- Arina in the front, my wife in the back. To my surprise, two other large women filed into the back seat as well. I leaned over to Arina and said out of the corner of my mouth, "Who are those people?" She shrugged: "I don't know!" but laughed -- she thought it was hilarious. Apparently the other women heard my wife's comment, and thought I really was driving a taxi, and my wife didn't try to disabuse them of this notion. My penance was to have to drive the strangers to their destinations, with Arina laughing the whole way.

*****

Dream 1: Copernicus

I knew that Copernicus was a renowned scientist of the Renaissance, but had no idea that he was also a Catholic cleric. That's interesting.

My wife and I began watching "Spartacus" on Netflix DVD last night. I wonder if I thought of Copernicus because so many people in that film had somewhat similar names: Spartacus, Crassus, Gracchus, Batiatus, Glabrus, etc.

No comments: