Thursday, February 21, 2008

Blowing the Budget

Wednesday night

I was in charge of managing produce at two small, mom and pop grocery stores. I wanted to keep quality high, but wanted to keep unnecessary costs down, as well. I thought I had it all under control, and was standing outside one of the the shops when the food was delivered -- in a big black Cadillac. I stood there, perplexed and flummoxed. How the hell did that happen?

*****

My coworkers and I often discuss the produce that is available at the new Whole Foods Market here in Nashville. It's definitely a cut above the choices at the other neighborhood grocery stores. And yesterday a sales rep was discussing "mom and pop" stores on her route. These thoughts seemed to have merged to create this dream. As for the sudden appearance of the Cadillac, it probably refers to the fact that I'm currently responsible for herding together some people and projects at work which are out of my control, and it's stressing me out. No matter how hard I try to plan things, I really don't know what might, or might not, happen.

No comments: