Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Jet / The Great Beyond

Sunday night

Dream 1: Jet

I was dating one of my coworkers, and we decided to take a spur-of-the-moment trip to London for the weekend. We walked along the tarmac toward the plane, marveling at the cost and the speed -- "It'll get us there in 20 minutes! And it's so cheap!" Still, I was feeling some pangs of guilt, because my mom was in the hospital, and I'd be out of pocket, having fun.

Dream 2: The Great Beyond

A scientist was making a presentation to a group, explaining how, as far as he was concerned, the most exciting thing ever would be to explore the outer reaches of space, to see what's out there. He turned off the lights and showed a color, animated film about space exploration -- particularly trips to the stars -- which alternated between mathematical formulas shown in white on a dark background and images of zooming to the stars themselves. His point was that he didn't want to wait until his life was over to develop the technologies to do such things; he wanted to do them now.

*****

Dream 2: The Great Beyond

My father in law was here for a visit this weekend, and we spent some time sitting on the back porch, discussing the stars. I asked him if he thought that there was life on any other planets. He said he had no idea, but didn't see why not.

The film we watched reminded me a little of the animated Disney science films we watched in elementary school. I always enjoyed those. I bet no elementary school kids are watching them now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life on other worlds...

The universe seems so vast, it's about got to be a certainty.

Contacting them?

I'm guessing not. We have to catch them not only in space, but in time.

We've gone from the first wireless communication technology to the ability to wipe intelligent life from the planet in a little over a hundred years. That's probably happened elsewhere, too...