Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stadium / Old Days

Dream 1: Stadium

I was standing on a sidewalk in the Cherrydale section of Arlington County, looking at the outside of a brand-new baseball stadium, made of red brick and iron. It towered over the landscape, and apparently took the place of a block of shops, including the 7-11 I used to visit after church. I thought, "It's probably fantastic on the inside, but it's too much for the neighborhood."

Dream 2: Old Days

I was standing with Jeff V., an old friend from high school days, and were were flipping through the pages of a photo album. At one point I said, "Hey! There's Bern!" Suddenly I wondered if I should have been more sensitive, since Jeff's brother Bernie had died before his time.

*****

Dream 1: Stadium

I must have been thinking about the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium that just opened in the Anacostia section of D.C. I haven't seen any photos of the completed stadium, but I saw the plans, and didn't like them very much. Too much concrete. It looked like a big parking garage. I prefer the retro-looking red brick stadiums, such as Oriole Park in Baltimore, and the new Cardinals stadium in St. Louis.

Dream 2: Old Days

Unfortunately, Bernie did die several years ago. He was a nice guy, when not fighting with his siblings. I lost track of him when he went to college in the early 80s.

*****

March 2008 Dream Roundup

Family and Friends:

My wife
Andrew C.
Brud H. (had borrowed my car in "That's My Bug!")
Dad C.
Eddie M.
Jim E.
Mike K.
Preston W.
Sam F.
"Sis" (Dad's sister; my aunt)

Acquaintances and Coworkers:

Carlos A.
Christy J.
Jennie S.
Jim B.
Maureen R.
Samantha H.
Shannon F.
Shelley D.
Tracy M.

Celebrities:

Ben Cohen (Ben & Jerry's ice cream was featured in a commercial in "Good Then, Good Now")
Bruce Springsteen
George W. Bush
Holly Hunter (mentioned by British man in "Mad Dash")
Jerry Greenfield (Ben & Jerry's ice cream was featured in a commercial in "Good Then, Good Now")
John King (G.W. Bush suggested King as John McCain's choice for VP in "The Cheerleader")
John McCain (G.W. Bush spoke on behalf of McCain for president in "The Cheerleader")
Kevin Smith
Luke (the Apostle) (Springsteen mentioned Luke's book in "Unresolved")
Nick Lowe
Scott Glenn
Southside Johnny Lyon
W.C. Fields (I found a bio of him at 3374 in "Book")

No comments: