Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Undersea World / Movin' Out

Saturday night

Dream 1: The Undersea World

Gordy S. was a college student, and I was heading over to visit him in his dorm room. We were planning to watch a documentary about the sea on his TV.

Dream 2: Movin' Out

I packed up my stuff and moved out of the townhouse where I had been living, on Hyson Lane in Falls Church, VA, but planned to make one more trip back to clean up. I was glad to be getting out of there -- the other renters were out of control. I went out to a restaurant, some type of cafeteria, later the same afternoon, and one of my ex-roommates showed up. She was a heavy-set woman. She and a friend of hers, a heavy-set guy, sat down across from me and they greeted each other with a pretty gross clinch and a kiss. Anyway, she informed me that the cops had just busted a party at her place, and several of my former housemates were in the drunk tank. I'd escaped just in time to avoid that craziness.

*****

Dream 1: The Undersea World

We enjoyed our copy of the BBC DVD series "Planet Earth" so much that we recently bought the BBC documentary "The Blue Planet," which is also narrated by Sir David Attenborough. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Dream 2: Movin' Out

I was telling a young coworker the other day about some of my strange former roommates at Hyson Lane. I lived there for the better part of 10 years, and can't remember how many people I saw come and go through the front door. Oftentimes I'd be saying, "Well, I'll miss you," when I really meant, "Well, I'll sure miss your rug and your TV!"

No comments: