Friday, January 4, 2008

Call Center / I Hate Maryland

Thursday night

Dream 1: Call Center

It was the end of the year, and The Washington Post published an article lauding people who had done good works; particularly those who had shone a light on others, instead of themselves. My brother Andrew was one of those people. He ran a call center, and when he heard that the center was going to be dissolved, and that the staff would lose their jobs, he wrote in to the Post to tell them what a great bunch of workers they'd been, and extolled them by name.

Dream 2: I Hate Maryland

I was in Maryland, and was driving in a very busy town that was unfamiliar to me. I had somewhere that I had to be, and had no directions, or knowledge of which direction in which I should point my car. As I pulled out of a busy mall parking lot, I basically threw up my hands and turned left, hoping that eventually something would be familiar, and give me a clue. Everything was too big, too busy, too congested, and it was stressing me out. I said out loud to no one in particular, "I Hate Maryland!" I continued traveling through a very busy city, surrounded by glittering shops, tall buildings, and tons of traffic. The highway system was making me nervous; I would rather have been on a smaller road, where at least I could get my bearings without people honking and edging up on me from behind. Finally, the traffic was less oppressive, and after awhile I seemed to leave it behind. I looked to my left, and saw the ocean. "I must be coming to a seaside town," I thought. I pulled over and walked into a bar, to ask directions. I approached a table where a handful of folks were speaking with Irish accents.

*****

Dream 1: Call Center

We've all heard of people losing their jobs at call centers. My employer eliminated a customer service center shortly after I arrived, and laid off a number of people. (They consolidated operations in the Midwest somewhere. I don't think they've packed it up and sent it to India yet.) My brother Drew is a boss, and I have no doubt that he's a good and fair one. He's always told me that it's very important not to criticize someone or their work in front of their fellow workers. I've had some real jerk bosses in my lifetime, some who scarred me for years. I'd like to work for a guy like my brother before I retire, if I ever do.

Dream 2: I Hate Maryland

I don't really hate Maryland. In fact, I've had some good times in Ocean City, Annapolis, and record shopping in Rockville and other places whose names I've forgotten. I really hate driving in unfamiliar places. It really stresses me out -- particularly huge highway systems that continually split off and throw me where I don't know where I'm going, from whence I may not be able to return. For my money, the whole stupid world should be laid out like Old Town Alexandria. Make everywhere a grid; Numbered streets go this way, Lettered streets or named streets go that way, all in alphabetical order. I was visiting with my friends Gordy, Ed and their wives in Springfield, VA over the Christmas break, and had to travel through the "Mixing Bowl;" or, should I say, the new, "improved" version. Traffic moved quicker, I'll give it that, but I still had no idea where to turn to get to my destination, and had to backtrack. Everything is so complicated. I don't know how in the world some idiots convinced the powers that be that it should be that way. Why is there I-95, 395 and 495? Why not, "You're on Blue Street, now you're getting onto Red Street; soon you will merge onto Yellow Street." Oh, well. Enough of that.

I guess it's pretty obvious that my antidote to stress is the sea, and Ireland. Oh, how I love Ireland. Can't wait to go back there someday. In fact, I'm wearing my wonderful Irish sweater as I type this wee message to yas.

*****

By the way, in case you're interested, I've added a yearly 2007 Dream Roundup to the end of the previous post (12/31/07). Who knew that all of those crazy people were walking around in my head?

No comments: