Friday, January 11, 2008

The Precipice

Thursday night

My coworkers and I were on a field trip. We arrived at our destination, some type of large banquet hall that was doubling as a theater for the evening, and I was one of the last people to enter the building. I could see that almost all of the seats were taken, and I was faced with climbing atop a long, thin shelf in order to get to some balcony seats. I thought, "I have to do that? It won't support my weight!" I decided not to do it, so I backtracked, and finally found a seat in the very back row on the ground level. I ended up sitting next to one of the 20-somethings, who was to my right, dressed in a white sweater and white slacks. As soon as the lights went down, she leaned into me and began nibbling on my right ear. I was surprised and a bit flattered by the attention, but I gently pushed her away and motioned for her to behave. I leaned over and whispered in her left ear, "I love my wife." She responded, "SO?"

*****

Nothing like this has ever really happened; it's just an old-guy fantasy. I did walk out to the parking lot with this person last night. We talked about work.

Yesterday I did take part in a work-related field trip. Two buses took my coworkers and me to my former employer, where we saw a musical presentation about the First Amendment. It was a great program, and I got to see some people that I wanted to see, while avoiding those that I didn't want to see again. It exorcised a few demons for me, and hopefully will allow me to finally close that chapter of my life on a more positive note.

No comments: