Monday, August 6, 2007

Country Drive / Team Dispirited

Saturday night, Chattanooga, TN

Dream 1: Country Drive

I was with a group of people who were on vacation in England and we were visiting an old grande dame at her country estate. We were talking about our plans for the day, and she had an idea. She called her neighbor, Pete Townshend, who immediately sent over some sports cars from his collection for the amusement of her guests.

Dream 2: Team Dispirited

Conan O'Brien and I worked for the same employer, and he managed the company baseball team. (I was one of the players.) The employer was being really cheap about paying for the team, however, and Conan had to justify every little expense. At the same time there was a renowned former slugger on our team, who was in a slump. We tried to encourage him when he was at the plate, but it didn't seem to be working out.

*****

Dream 1:

My wife and I stopped in at a big antique mall in Chattanooga on Saturday afternoon, and I happened to pick up a book that was printed in the 1970s. It was called "The World's Favorite Automobiles," and featured a cover photo of many beautiful old cars displayed in the driveway of an old mansion. I know nothing about repairing automobiles, but I love the designs of almost any cars made prior to 1970, particularly the ones prior to 1960.

Pete Townshend is a favorite writer, singer and guitarist.

Dream 2:

My employer is cutting back on expenses wherever they can...

No comments: