Thursday, August 30, 2007

Home Sweet Home / Strange Set

Wednesday night

Dream 1: Home Sweet Home

It was November and I had to work late. I got caught up in a snowstorm on the way home, and parked for awhile in a covered garage at some sort of a monument in a city park to wait it out. When the weather finally let up I drove to the family home and walked in carrying a large, lightweight, black plastic stereo speaker over my head. I was confronted in the kitchen by one the members of my family, Janice Soprano, who immediately tried to make me feel guilty for having been away. In a sarcastic tone she said, "So, did you enjoy your Thanksgiving?" She went on to regale me with stories of fights that I'd missed at the holiday dinner table.

I looked around for the family dog and realized that he was outside. I went out to get him, but found that Tony (Soprano) was already out there, leading him back in from the cold. Janice had already tried to get the dog to come back, but had been unsuccessful. I didn't trust Janice, and I got the impression that the dog didn't trust her, either.

Dream 2: Strange Set

I had great seats for a Paul McCartney concert in the 1970s; I was so close to him that I was practically on the stage. McCartney was standing on the left side of the band, playing bass. Soon it became apparent that this wasn't going to be a typical McCartney concert; he was singing cover versions of others' songs instead of his own. His first number was by The Eagles.

*****

Dream 1:

Another dream featuring snow. I am so tired of this heat.

I had this dream while sleeping on the couch in the living room, just after watching the last episode of season 3 of "The Sopranos." Two things in this dream will ring true to any fan of the show: Tony loves animals, and Janice is not to be trusted under any circumstances.

There is another Sopranos episode that features black stereo speakers. Two members of Tony's crew borrow two huge speakers from his house and set them up on his boat in order to blast Dean Martin albums at the home of a lawyer who lives down on the Jersey shore. They continue disrupting his evenings in this way until he decides to let Tony out of a real estate deal.

I had black plastic speakers as part of an early stereo set that I kept in my parents' basement playroom years ago.

I didn't recognize my office building or the family home in this dream; it wasn't the Soprano house from the series, or anywhere I've lived before.

Dream 2:

The Eagles number that McCartney sang was one of the mellow Glen Frey tunes; either "Take It Easy" or "Tequila Sunrise."

No comments: