Saturday, December 8, 2007

Canoe Trip / Reminiscing

Friday night

Dream 1: Canoe Trip

Jimmie and I decided that we'd take a trip in a canoe, and make a day of it. He sat in front and I sat in the back, and we paddled together down a river, for hours. Finally, we pulled over to the shore, walked up a bank, and went shopping. We'd been there for a while when I realized that it would be dark soon, and on our return trip we'd have to navigate among the rocks and whatnot without any lights. I found Jimmie and said, "Don't you think we'd better go?" He turned toward me and cocked his head to the side and said, "Oh... yeah." He hadn't given it much thought.

Dream 2: Reminiscing

Ed B. and I were flipping through his photo album. We came across a picture taken at one of Ed's parties; it showed Ed standing next to Andrew, who, for some reason, was wearing a ladies' wig. (The long, black hair hung down past his shoulders. That must have been some party.)

Ed kept flipping until he came across some photos of a vacation he'd taken to a historical site in Greece, or Rome. He was shown standing next to the base of a large, ancient, broken column. I was amazed to see it, because my wife and I had visited the same place on one of our vacations. I said, "That place was amazing, but did you go up the hill and see the site looking over the river? That was even better." Ed said, "Oh, yeah."

*****

Dream 1: Canoe Trip

The funny thing about this dream is that if Jimmie and I ever did plan a day's journey via canoe that would involve traveling back at night, he would probably have outfitted that canoe with some super duper remote-controlled halogen headlamps or something. He might over-plan, but would never, ever under-plan.

For some reason, lately I've been thinking about some of the things that I want to accomplish with the rest of my life. This is probably because the huge CD project that has occupied most of my waking moments for the past 9 years is coming to an end next Christmas. I'd like to learn to speak a foreign language well, but need to decide which one. I want to see England, Italy and the South of France, and would dearly love to return to Ireland. I'd like to learn to play the guitar. And someday, after I've paid off all credit card debt, I want to buy one of these beauties and while away my time on calm lakes and rivers with the wife:
http://www.merrimackcanoes.com

Dream 2: Reminiscing

I'm not sure where this dream came from, although I was talking with my coworker Eden the other day about foreign travels, and she mentioned that she'd been to Greece, and said it was beautiful there. Ed and I have spoken about his honeymoon trip to Italy; he and his wife had a marvelous time. The past few days my wife and I have watched two, or even three episodes of Star Trek season 1 per night, so the broken column may have appeared on one of those sets. It's a wonder that I'm not dreaming about the Enterprise or some hairy monster that wants to suck all of the salt out of my body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometime spring-to-summer, pick a calm lake or river near you and I'll drag the kayaks up your way and we can go. I've got all the required gear and it's way easier than you think - it's way easier than I thought before I started.

I love a day paddling quiet water, too. I'm not out for whitewater thrills any more than you are. And I won't suck all the salt from your body.