Friday, November 9, 2007

I Want What I Want

Thursday night

I was looking for shoes, and I was all business. I walked into a shop and a tall, thin, older gentleman asked if he could help me. I said, "I'm looking for Chuck Taylor high-tops, but I want them with a stronger, more reinforced sole." The man led to me to his display of tennis shoes. The selection was limited, amounting to a few pairs of regular Converse shoes in blue, gray and black. He said, "The kids aren't wearing the high-tops these days." I frowned; this was not what I wanted to hear. The salesman stood by good-naturedly, seemingly amused that I could get so worked up over a pair of Chucks. I left by the side door so I wouldn't have to talk with him again.

*******

Despite my actions in this dream, I tend to be a slow-moving, contemplative person, and hate being rushed. I enjoy going to the mall and spending hours just bopping about. (Sometimes I tell my wife I'm going out to do "the bear thing." She knows that I mean that I'm going to wander about blissfully until something grabs my attention, as the bears do. That's my idea of a no-stress afternoon.) So, shopping doesn't bother me; constraints on my time bother the hell out of me.

Having said all that, I must admit that I hate it when I do have my mind set on something and find that the store is out of stock, so I have to go elsewhere, or wait. Of course, it makes me uptight because I'm usually crunched for time. If I don't have to worry about the tyranny of the clock, then I don't mind so much driving to another store. "Slow down, you move too fast / You got to make the morning last..."

I wore Converse Chuck Taylor high tops when I was a kid, and started wearing them again in the 1980s, only stopping when someone convinced me that they didn't offer enough support. That explains this dream; I still love the things, I only want an improved version.

I have had some luck while shoe shopping lately. I was shivering from the cold last weekend, so I went over to Macy's and found a very comfy pair of Gold Toe premier suede slippers with real shearling padding, or somesuch. I put those things on the second I arrive at home each night. As for work shoes, I've decided that I don't want to deal with laces anymore. (That way, they're easier to kick off.) I'm wearing a pair of slip-on shoes made by a company called Sandro. They are made of distressed-looking brown leather, and feature a "comfort gel" sole. They are mighty comfortable for work shoes, although I don't know if they are in keeping with the latest styles. To me, they look like something Joe Namath would have worn, circa 1973.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found my Keens at REI this summer looking for water shoes that wouldn't cut up the tops of my feet. Couldn't have guessed I'd love 'em so much. Heard friends raving about 'em for months before I bought a pair - thought they were nuts.

My Keens

How can I love a shoe like this? I wear 'em out in the goofiest places. Took only the Keens to stomp around Chicago for 4 days in late September.

That about says it: I'm gonna bring one pair of shoes. Which ones? The Keens - easy call.