Thursday, November 29, 2007

Helping the Detective / Secret Smile

Wednesday night

Dream 1: Helping the Detective

My wife was a detective, returning to the scene of a crime. A young woman was missing, and foul play was suspected. She (the detective) walked through the girl's bedroom, looking around, and put on one of the CDs that the (possible) victim owned. She sang along, out loud, while continuing to look at everything in the room. Just then, the camera seemed to pull back to reveal a sad sight: the body of the victim, fully clothed in a dark shirt and pants, and with her back to us, was stuffed between the mattress and the box spring of her bed. The tension was great, because "we" knew where the body was, but the detective hadn't found her yet. Finally, a hand broke through the pane of the dream from our perspective and pointed it out to the detective.

Dream 2: Secret Smile

I was walking through a room, from left to right. First, I passed my dad. Next, I passed Denise, who was sitting to my left. She was a teenager again, and smiled silently at me as I walked by. We had an understanding between us... we couldn't date now, but maybe years later...

*****

Dream 1: Helping the Detective

I do think of my wife as a detective sometimes. She misses nothing; especially something that obvious. In some ways, this dream reminds me of "The Silence of the Lambs," particularly the scene in which Clarice Starling returns to the victim's bedroom to learn more about her.

Dream 2: Secret Smile

I still haven't seen or spoken to D. in 20 years. She'll be 40 next May. Hard to believe.

I thought about not including these dreams in the blog today, for various reasons, but what the hell -- they are what they are. The dreams that I've had this month depicting violence toward women bother me. And the thing about Denise; I guess she's still in the back of my mind, along with the other characters.

No comments: