Friday, November 2, 2007

Transplant / Sad

Thursday night

Dream 1: Transplant

I'd decided to move into a new apartment building, and my girlfriend was helping me move. The new place had a very nice central garden with brick walls, and I was transplanting some of my trees from the old place to the new one. That was going well, and the trees were growing like crazy -- one, which had a green trunk, almost like bamboo, suddenly towered over my head. Still, despite these successes, I was a little down or unsure, because I didn't know anyone at the new place. I walked out in the garden one day and was met with a happy surprise; my girlfriend had decorated my trees with Christmas lights. The green tree, in particular, was swathed in large, old-fashioned lights that were pinkish-purple. She walked up behind me, carrying a pot filled with yellow mums which she'd brought over from my old apartment. She said, "I thought I'd plant them near the roots of this tree." Later, we went back inside and I looked down the hallway, and saw her standing in the kitchen, making a cup of tea. I thought to myself, "There are probably other girls out there that I could date, but I could marry her."

Dream 2: Sad

My wife and I walked into a restaurant and were surprised to run into her ex, who was sitting at the bar. We could tell by his conversation that he had been there for awhile. I said, "That's how he was the last time I saw him." I held back and she went over to talk with him to see how he was doing.

*****

Dream 1: Transplant

The events recounted in this dream didn't happen, and I don't remember having that one clear moment of epiphany, but I have been married to that girlfriend for almost six and a half years. She's pretty cool.

Last night I took some of our Halloween decorations to the shed in the back yard, and paused to have a look at a tree that we transplanted the year before. I'm sure that tree and the Halloween lights inspired this dream.

Dream 2: Sad

The guy in question was impaired the last time we met at a restaurant. My wife wasn't there, but others were, and I wasn't the only one who noticed. I was surprised.

No comments: