Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bad Vacation / Christmas with Carl

Monday night

Dream 1: Bad Vacation

My wife and I were on a trip with her father and ex-husband Jim B. in tow, and we were having a pretty bad time. At one point the four of us were overlooking some historic balcony; her ex- was on the far left, my wife and I were in the middle, and her dad (played in this dream by actor Seymour Cassel) was on the right. Jim wasn't making any trouble, but her dad was being particularly bothersome, literally poking my wife in the side and pinching her. She and I huddled together, just trying to endure the situation.

Dream 2: Christmas with Carl

It was Christmastime again, and my friends Gordy and Barbara S. were visiting me in my bedroom at Mom and Dad's house. They were asking me about my relationship with Linda S. I told them that we weren't dating anymore; I still liked her and all, but it had been a long-distance thing (she lives in Maryland) and besides, now I was enjoying my freedom. There was a bag of presents in the room. One was from my friend Jim B.; I wasn't sure where the others came from, or who they were for -- they had no tags. Gordy looked around the room and noticed a one-piece denim outfit hanging from a clothes hanger. It had some red paint on the shirt portion, and was in a plastic bag, having just come from the cleaners. Gordy said, "What's that?" I said, "Oh, that's my Carl [Childers] costume. I got it in Africa." There was a gold plaque nearby on the wall that explained all about it. He was really into it and said, "Oh! COOL!" (The splattered red paint made it appear to be all the more authentic.)

*****

Dream 1: Bad Vacation

My father-in-law visited us recently. He can be a challenge, but I didn't see him pinch anyone this time. I'll be playing poker with Jim B. and other old friends in a couple of days.

Dream 2: Christmas with Carl

I did dress up as Carl Childers (Billy Bob Thornton's character from the movie "Sling Blade") one Halloween. I recall covering a ruler with tin foil and some red paint, to resemble the murder weapon mentioned in the title. Gordy is a big movie buff. He would appreciate such a costume. (I can't recall if he was at that particular Halloween party.)

I recently painted our backyard shed red and ended up with red paint on my blue jeans. That red paint on denim morphed into my "Carl" suit.

Linda is an old friend. The two of us went to a few concerts, but we never dated, as far as I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Africa, huh? That's the best part... ;)

My dream last night (they are rare for me...): I was trying to get into the Islamic court, where I was afraid they'd shoot at me if I came in by the side door. The court looked like the top-floor of my real-life office, except made of marble vs. real-life drywall. On the way around it, I found a "Children Only" restroom, which was good 'cause I was carrying my baby son in his car seat. Just the place to stop in for a quick change. They had one of those Koala Care changing stations (which you start to notice as soon as you become a parent), and as I worked on him in the "Children Only" restroom, various pervs and plain-old people I'd only mistaken for pervs kept coming in and out of the stall, either giving weird looks or being apologetic that they'd interrupted us. At that point I woke up and mentioned to his mom that the kid had slept for nearly 8 hours. She said great, and asked if I could take him while she got a shower and could I put the bassinet up and those plastic things in the bucket. Then I woke up for real and wondered why she wasn't in the shower and found her sleeping next to me...