Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rocky Mountain High

Friday night

I was visiting an amusement park in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado which featured the usual roller coasters and other delights. One "ride," or "challenge" intrigued me; I'd never seen anything like it at other parks. It resembled a fort (or maybe a guard tower) perched way up high on thin metal legs with some crossbeams to hold it steady. The structure itself seemed to be made of wood. It had an angled roof with shingles, but was open on all sides, so those on the inside could peer out over a metal railing. In the front of the "building" there was a very long and steep path which had to be climbed in order to gain entry; it extended from the fort to the ground. The center of the path was filled with large, treacherous boulders. The spaces on either side of the boulders seemed to be filled with swiftly running water; upon closer inspection I realized that the streams were an illusion. They were two swift-moving plastic strips, made to look like water. One false step, and the person trying to climb to the top would be whisked straight back down where he started. Only the most agile, careful climber would make it to the top.

Once I'd made it up into the fort, I sat up there with a few others, enjoying the view all around, and I was caught up in the excitement of the people who were trying to come aboard. Several of us helped one young kid as he practically tumbled over the railing and onto the floor, none the worse for wear. Then, to my surprise, I saw my dad; he'd climbed up the back way, scrambling up the metal girders. I said, "Get in here [before you hurt yourself]!"

Later, I was back on solid ground and having a walkabout when I ran into Edie and Scotty S. We chatted for a few moments, and Edie reminisced about how their stepdaughter Mandy once met me at a similar park when I lived in Pittsburgh.

*****

My dad was a great deal thinner in this dream than he is in real life. Once upon a time, he was known for resembling a bean pole. Unfortunately, his climbing days are long gone. This is a stunt he never would have undertaken, anyway; he suffers from a fear of heights.

Aside from the front walkway, this fort resembled several "structures" found at parks where I've played tag, including the one at my elementary school in Arlington, and one in a local Nashville park where my wife and I ran around with our nieces and nephews this past fall.

Edie and Scotty are mom and step-dad of my high school friend Brud H., who was mentioned in "That's My Bug!," posted this past March 28. Last week Brud's wife, Mandy, copied me on an e-mail that included some recent photos of their family.

I've never lived in Pittsburgh, or Pennsylvania, for that matter.

No comments: