Thursday, June 26, 2008

Arina Rock

Thursday night, June 19

I'd been watching some rock videos on my computer and was shocked when I stumbled across one featuring my friend and coworker, Arina H. I didn't even know she was in a band, much less one that rocked with this kind of punky attitude. Even better, they had a sly sense of humor. Arina was the lead singer, and she and the rest of her group were all dressed head to toe in red white and blue, and were rocking out in front of Independence Hall, in Philadelphia. At the end of the clip, the group huddled together for a close-up. All of the band members were shown wearing colorful veils over their faces, making fun of Americans' fear of Muslims. A short time later, I heard that Arina and her band were going to be performing for everyone at the office, and I was really, really looking forward to it. Just before show time, my hopes were dashed. Arina came up to me and said, "We go on at 2:00. You're covering for me [at my desk]." I'd have to miss the show. To make matters worse, my boss Christy called me into her office and chewed me out for something I'd done wrong.

*****

Arina and I have never worked together; she works where my wife does, and is a good friend of ours. She's from Eastern Europe. I have no idea if she ever sings or if she plays any instruments; I'll have to ask her about that.

Christy was my boss at the foundation that I left in 2005. Or, should I say, the foundation that left me. I liked working for her. She may have chewed me out a couple of times in the 7 or 8 years we worked together.

There are feelings of resentment bubbling up in this dream; not against Arina or Christy, but general feelings of extreme annoyance at having the type of job in which I have little or no backup, and have to make sure that my position is covered before I can get any time off to do anything else. I asked for Christmas week off 8 months in advance, and I've yet to get confirmation. I've got seniority over almost everyone in my position at work, and yet my boss is not confirming that I'll have the time off. It annoys the shit out of me. That's what this dream is really about -- the possibility of missing something that I really want to do because of inadequate "coverage" at work.

No comments: