Monday, June 16, 2008

Jumping the Gun / Dark Skies

Sunday night, June 8

Dream 1: Jumping the Gun

I was about to go out on stage to play a concert with the E Street Band. We were all behind the curtain; Bruce was front and center, and I was the last person on the right, with my electric guitar strapped on, and at the ready. Unfortunately, in my eagerness to get started, I jumped through the curtain ahead of time, and began playing the introduction to "Prove It All Night" in my lame, one-string way. Only then did I realize that the rest of the band had not joined me. Feeling incredibly embarrassed, I slunk back behind the curtain, where Bruce and the entire band were staring at me. Not only had I jumped the gun, but I had begun playing a song of my own choosing. Bruce looked at me with a mixture of anger and humor. Instead of yelling at me, he thought for a second, and came up with an idea. He said, "OK, each of you can pick any one of our songs, and we'll play it tonight." I thought to myself, "If I knew he was going to do that, I'd have picked something else!"

Dream 2: Dark Skies

I was living in a townhouse community in Falls Church, Virginia, and I had joined a number of neighbors outside who were looking up at ominous black clouds. Suddenly someone called out, "A Twister!" I said, "I've got to go get my cat!" and ran toward my door.

*****

Dream 1: Jumping the Gun

Off the top of my head, I might request "The Price You Pay," from "The River."

Dream 2: Dark Skies

Back when I lived on Hyson Lane in Falls Church, I found a black and white kitten one time, hanging out in a large bush next to our front steps. I named him "Munchkin," and kept him in the basement for a few days, until a neighbor happened to come by, describing the cat, and asking me if I'd seen him. (Munchkin had no tag when I found him.) I gave him back, of course. I've got some photos of him in one of my photo albums. They've been kept in storage ever since I came to Nashville -- almost 7 years ago now. Hard to believe.

No comments: