Thursday, June 5, 2008

Way Back When

Wednesday night

I was walking to my apartment with an acquaintance, and was telling him about my past. We crossed a parking lot, and for a time walked only on small concrete dividers between the parking spaces, which had been painted bright yellow. I said, "The only roommate I ever had was Duncan S." He said, "Duncan?! He's been around forever!" I continued, "I used to have lots of friends, but they all got married, moved out to the suburbs, or moved [farther] away..."

*****

Duncan was one of my first roommates, at a townhouse in Falls Church, VA, but I had many more after that. Some were real characters.

Once upon a time, when my friends and I were all still single, there was always someone to call to get together for dinner out, a movie, a game night, etc. I'm glad I'm married, but I do miss those days and those people sometimes.

No comments: