Thursday, June 26, 2008

Confrontation

Saturday night, June 14

I was a detective, on vacation, and I had a bad cold, which made me pretty miserable. My time off was coming to an end, but I was still sick, so I tried several times to call in to my boss, but I could never seem to remember the number exactly. Finally it got to be after 11 a.m., so I gave up trying. I'd explain it to her later. It didn't really matter, because soon I was working a case anyway.
Somehow I'd found out that a man and his family -- who were also staying at my hotel -- had stolen $400,000, and were on the run in their minivan. I walked around the building, looking for clues. On the surface, they seemed to be a normal, nice, middle class family. They were black; the father was a little overweight and balding; the mother resembled Michelle Obama, and their only child was a studious boy, about 13 years of age, who wore glasses.
Later in the day I found the family in question out in the parking lot, and confronted them. I didn't want anyone to get hurt -- myself, especially -- but wanted to talk with them, and try to reason with them as I blocked their attempt to make their getaway. I said, "In today's economy, do you really think $400,000 will make that much of a difference (and will be worth being on the run all the time)?" The wife said, "Hell, yeah! My husband just got a new set of tires for my car!"

*****

The man in this dream is modeled after a neighbor who came by our house during the recent neighborhood yard sale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cold + Vacation. Welcome to my current nighmare. Ach! Plik!