Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hello, Old Friend

Sunday night, June 15

Ed B. came over to my parents' house, and Mom led him upstairs to my room. He was wearing some type of off-white jacket; he looked a little like Jim Fowler -- you know, one of those folks who was always bringing animals onto "The Tonight Show." I heard some people coming up the stairs, so I walked out of my bedroom to the landing to see who was there. Ed saw me and said, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" and gave me a big hug. I responded, "Well, Happy (belated) Birthday to You!" Mom liked Ed, and looked up at him and smiled. She said, "I remember when you had blue hair!" At that point Dad walked up the stairs, passed behind the group and went into their bedroom. He didn't greet Ed; I don't think he liked Ed's earrings.

*****

I don't know if Dad ever commented on Ed's earrings, but I do recall that my friend Brud once attended one of my (our -- I'm a twin) birthday parties, and wore an earring that dangled prominently. Dad didn't like that a bit, and said so.

I also don't recall ever hearing that Ed went through a blue hair phase, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ed and Mom seem to get along smashingly in my dreams. (See "The Objector," April 23rd.)

No comments: