Sunday, June 29, 2008

High and Inside / Searching in Vain / Tutorial

Monday night, June 23

Dream 1: High and Inside

I was doing my flying thing again, this time inside a very large retail store; in particular, I was hovering near the ceiling, and passed a pretty cool toy helicopter which was sharing my airspace. All in all, I was pretty pleased with myself, and with the whole experience. Gradually I floated down to the floor, and passed my old VP, Rod S., who was helping a customer behind a counter, off to my right. I didn't speak to him. I kept walking, and turned a corner to my right, where I saw my old friend Stuart R., and my old boss, Christy J. They worked at the store, too, and were both behind another counter in the right-hand corner. Christy recognized me and said, "Boy, you get up early!" (The store had just opened.)

Dream 2: Searching in Vain

I was wandering around and around the grounds of a country club (seemingly modeled after Arlington's Knights of Columbus grounds, but much larger) and I was looking for my dad. I was a little exasperated, because we were supposed to meet there. He was nowhere to be found, so eventually I gave up.

Dream 3: Tutorial

U2's guitarist The Edge was sitting next to me, showing me one of his prized guitars. He played some licks and made some interesting sounds, and said that his guitar was the 2nd most effective instrument ever.

*****

Dream 1, High and Inside: This store seemed like a gigantic version of the Evans Distributors and Jewelers catalog showroom where I worked on Glebe Road in Arlington, back in 1981.

Dream 2, Searching in Vain: I know exactly where my dad is, but I often feel that I'm still searching for the dad that I wish I had. I called him on Father's Day, and he put me on the speaker phone, because my twin brother was there. I was in the middle of a sentence when Dad called out, "Well, thank you for calling." I guess a TV show was more important than talking to his son on Father's Day. I don't think that that type of uncaring rudeness is easily explained away. It hurts.

Dream 3, Tutorial: I wonder what Edge thought that his most effective instrument was?

1 comment:

4mastjack said...

You worked at that Evans? Babs worked at that one too, I'm pretty certain. Not sure when, before or after 1981.

Isn't that also the Goodwill store now, the one where we stopped on our way out of town headed towards the Great Smokies?