Saturday, October 20, 2007

Baby Come Back / Tough Questions

Thursday night

Dream 1: Baby Come Back

I was walking around in a shop that sold musical instruments when I came upon a large electric organ in a wooden cabinet, and decided to try it out. A tall, thin Asian guy was standing to my left, and I asked him if he'd like to take a turn. He said, "Maybe, when the volume is lower." I flipped several different effects switches, and came upon a wah-wah sound; I proceeded to play the opening notes of the 1970s hit by Player, "Baby Come Back."

The next thing I knew, I was in a TV station, watching Player performing "Baby Come Back" before a studio audience. The band was supported by an orchestra and a coterie of celebrities who served as backup singers, including Pat Benatar, Johnathan Cain (of Journey) and Matt Lauer of the Today show.

I looked intently to determine if those opening wah-wah notes were played by a keyboard or a guitar, and was suprised to find that while the band featured a keyboard player, they also had two guys playing pedal steel guitars. The backup singers traded verses toward the end of the song, and Lauer tripped up on his lines, much to his embarrassment.

Dream 2: Tough Questions

Don Henley of the Eagles was being interviewed live in a recording studio to promote a forthcoming record. He stood in front of the band's equipment, holding a silver-colored flute. Henley thought that the interviewer was there to discuss the new record, but the reporter had other ideas. The first question focused on the band's finances, and caught Henley off-guard. Next, the reporter noticed the flute and asked, "What's the best flute for a musician to buy?" Henley stammered and there were long pauses. He had no idea -- it was just a prop.

*****

Dream 1: Baby Come Back

I've always liked that tune, even if it is a little cheesy. The opening notes are most likely played by a guitar with an effects pedal, but I'm pretty sure that the band didn't use pedal steel guitars.

Dream 2: Tough Questions

This dream pokes fun at Don Henley's pretentiousness, but I still like a lot of his music.

No comments: