Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Long Walk Home

Tuesday night

I was alone and restless in Arlington, and decided to walk down Lee Highway to my dad's apartment in D.C. I arrived at 3 a.m. My brother Jimmie was there; he was visiting. He and Dad were awake, which may have been my fault. Dad immediately walked over and opened the living room sofa bed for me. Or, he said, I could stay on the boat out back. I said, "No thanks. I'm going to walk back home [when the visit is over]."

*****
Last night my brothers and I got together on a conference call to talk about Dad's health and his financial situation.

Dad's apartment is in Arlington, not D.C., and he doesn't own a boat. He's pretty much confined to a wheelchair these days, so he wouldn't be able to walk over and pull open a sofa bed. I guess that's wishful thinking on my part.

My wife will be out of town this weekend, so I will be on my own for a few days.

By the way, "Long Walk Home" is an early favorite from the new Bruce Springsteen album, "Magic," released yesterday.

No comments: