Friday, October 5, 2007

DVD / Having a Fit

Thursday night

Dream 1: DVD

Dick Van Dyke was working at the service desk of my office, and was surrounded by a huge amount of paperwork. He took it in his stride, and was able to joke about his circumstances. He said, "I think I'll be able to get through this stack in 15... MONTHS!" (I had expected him to say "...15 minutes.")

Dream 2: Having a Fit

My twin brother Andrew and some of our poker buddies, including Eddie M. and Eric M., were riding in my new Honda Fit. The car was pretty messy on the inside, filled with napkins, cups and other assorted trash. We pulled up to a gas station or a convenience store, and I decided to show the guys how efficiently the seats fold down in the back; I couldn't help extolling their ingenious design. I said, "See how easy this is? They fold down completely flat, so you could fit a desk or a bicycle in here!"

*****

Dream 1: DVD

Dick Van Dyke has always been a favorite comedian, and "The Dick Van Dyke Show" is among my top 5 TV shows of all time. (The others, as of this week, are "The Andy Griffith Show," "The Sopranos," "The Twilight Zone," and "Prime Suspect." Then again, that leaves out the original "Star Trek." Better make it my top 6.)

By the way, Van Dyke was white-haired and mustachioed in this dream, as he looked in his later series, "Diagnosis Murder," while playing Dr. Mark Sloan.

Dream 2: Having a Fit

We do have a new Honda Fit, and I love the thing. I have told anyone who will listen that I'm really knocked out by the ease of converting the upright back seats to a cargo area. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've used those very sentences from the dream, regarding the bicycle and the desk.

I'm getting the impression that other Honda Fit owners love their cars, too. I've noticed a strange phenomenon, that Fit owners automatically acknowledge each other when our cars pass, with a wave or a "thumbs up" sign. It's almost as if we're part of a club or something. My wife says that someone called into the "Car Talk" radio program, and mentioned that she's noticed this "friendly" trend, too. The Tappert Bros. said that they'd heard of a similar phenomenon when the VW Beetles came out in the U.S. Come to think of it, maybe they meant the new versions of the VW bugs. That would make sense. Can't you hear it now? "I love my new car! Don't you love yours? Isn't it all so wonderful?"

I'm bending over backward not to mess up the new car, and it's going pretty well so far. We've had it since late June, and so far I haven't eaten one bite of food or had one sip of a drink in it. (I do carry food in the car, I just don't consume it in the car.) We'll see if I can keep to those standards during the 10-hour drive back home at Christmastime.

No comments: