Monday, October 29, 2007

The Late, Late Show

Sunday night

I was awake in the early hours of the morning, so I decided to check out what was on the tube. I switched on my portable black and white TV, and was pleased to see that I'd happened upon the beginning of a 1930s comedy that I'd never seen. The opening credits featured a montage of photographs of many actors from that era, including a young Lucille Ball. I was really getting into it until a large photo/slide stopped me in my tracks. It was made up to look like a vintage piece of sheet music, and featured a close-up photograph of a heavy man in a suit. Unfortunately, that man was Dan Akyroyd. I rolled my eyes and thought, "Crap. It's not a real 1930s movie -- it's a pastiche."

Despite my misgivings, I decided to continue watching, for a little while, anyway. The first scene opened in a well-stocked 1930s department store. In the background, a young girl (the daughter of someone who worked there, or maybe the owner) was sitting behind a glass counter, and could be heard amiably chatting away with one of the salespeople. The camera wasn't focused on them, however; instead, it slowly panned along the well-stocked shelves, lovingly fixing on the well-made clothes and knick knacks of that time, particularly the incredible, wonderful metal toys. I thought to myself, "Man, they did a fantastic job recreating this stuff. This set must have cost millions."

*****

I haven't owned, or watched a black and white TV set since I left my parents' house in the 1980s, so this dream was probably set about 20 years ago.

Lately, I've been thinking that it's almost time to watch "Miracle on 34th Street," (the 1947 original, of course) which, to my way of thinking, is a Thanksgiving movie, not a Christmas movie. At least, it starts out that way. M.O.34th features a wonderfully precocious girl, Susan Walker (played by Natalie Wood) who is the daughter of a woman who is a P.R. executive at a large Manhattan department store, which contains a heck of a toy department. I've paused my DVD on many occasions to drool over the gleaming vintage metal cars and trucks. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

Dan Akyroyd was hilarious back in his SNL days, but I haven't been a huge fan of his movie work, at least since "Ghostbusters," which came out in 1984. I liked "Trading Places," though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw about the last 2/3 of Ghostbusters in the spooky movie barn at a farm party in Ellijay, GA this weekend. The owners of the farm invited about 400 folks out to eat, do halloweeny stuff and take a hayride. It was a really great time!

I'd forgotten since last we attended, but one of the props they bring is a giant Oscar statuette (maybe 10-15 feet tall, on a pedestal) which they wrap up in gauzy fabric like a huge mummy!

Anyway, Ackroyd was sure in a funny movie (which he helped pen), but he wasn't that funny IN it. Bill Murray stole that particular show by my lights. At least until Gozer the destroyer takes on his final form...

I think the problem is simple: there just aren't that many outlets for off-center impressions of Jimmy Carter or insane TV pitchmen outside of sketch comedy. I've never understood why they take people who are great at sketch and hem them in trying to support 90 minute premises in movies.

Last time we attended the farm party, they were showing Cocteau's B&W classic La Belle et la bĂȘte (Beauty and the Beast) - it's a must-see!

4mastjack said...

Dan Aykroyd was nominated for an Oscar for Driving Miss Daisy. He was pretty good in that, don't you think?

And did you see Bright Young Things? I thought that was a terrific film, and he was a small but good part of it.

Anonymous said...

I did see "Driving Miss Daisy," and felt that Akyroyd's acting amounted to him drawling "Aw, Mama" endlessly.