Thursday, July 12, 2007

Birthday party

Wednesday night

Our old neighbors, the Dowdens, had invited me to a birthday party at their house, and I was walking around the living room, helping to clean up. I don't remember the party itself, so I think I showed up late; it was already nighttime.

For some reason, I was gathering up lots of candles; not just small, birthday-cake candles, but also tall candles, the type which would fit into a candelabrum. All had cake and icing on the ends. Supposedly, I missed many cakes.

I took all of the plates and candles into the kitchen, where Melissa, one of my current coworkers, was doing the dishes. Just then we heard a noise from downstairs. Melissa said, "I hope that's the pizza guy -- I'm starving." Apparently the Dowdens had fed cake to their guests, but nothing else.

*****

We have guests (family) staying with us this Saturday night, and last night my wife and I stood in the kitchen and discussed our plans for Friday night. We decided we'd get a pizza and do a little housecleaning.

I grew up in Arlington at the corner of 34th and Dinwiddie Streets. The Dowdens lived at the other end of 34th, next to its terminus at Dickerson Street. I haven't been in that house for at least 25 years.

No comments: