Saturday, July 7, 2007

Hurry Up

Friday night

I was on a business trip with one of my co-workers. We were riding on a bus though a large city, and when we got to our stop she got out first. I had overpacked, and was taking so much time gathering up my luggage that she had to get back on the bus to see if I was coming or not. When I finally got to the street I glanced to the right and noticed an example of "public art." A painted sculpture of a man's head was balanced atop an orange traffic cone. It wasn't a great likeness, but I think it was supposed to be a portrait of director George Lucas. I called my wife to tell her that we'd arrived safely, and said that I'd call her back later.

*****

While at the office yesterday I was cleaning up a bunch of junk around my desk that I'd inherited from my predecessor. I stopped for a few minutes to peruse a guide to Nashville that had been published last year. The cover featured a composite photograph of multiple versions of the same sculpture of a guitar, all painted by different artists. They had been placed around town for awhile, and were later auctioned off for charity. I think that's where the George Lucas sculpture idea originated. Presumably the big city in my dream had many other orange cones scattered about which were holding up other portrait busts. Very strange. I probably thought about Lucas because my wife and I recently watched DVDs of the first three Star Wars films (1977-1983) in their original, un-screwed-up versions.

I've been known to over-pack for trips, and my brother Andrew says I'm "the slowest getting-out-of-the-car-person alive."

This dream isn't really notable, except that there was hardly any dialogue. That was kind of unusual.

No comments: