Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Leaving / Ted's Bed

Tuesday night

Dream 1: Leaving

My (real-life) twin brother Andrew and I were working together in a crowded office of some sort, but he was about to leave for a different job. One interesting thing about this office was that a handful of employees had their desks way up high on top of what looked like file cabinets, and Drew was one of them.

At the same time, I was trying to reconcile a ledger filled with end-of-month numbers, and was having a very difficult time of it. Some amounts were in the wrong columns, figures were not adding up correctly, etc.

Dream 2: Ted's Bed

This dream opened with a view of what appeared to be a nice room in a bed and breakfast. The bed itself was quite long, with a white bedspread. There happened to be a couple in the bed already, at the far end. They giggled and got out good-naturedly because word had gotten around quickly that my dad, Theodore Roosevelt, was there, and wanted the bed for himself -- and I'd have to share it with him. I climbed in first, but awoke before TR showed up.

*****

Dream 1:

I went to a "happy hour" goodbye party for a fellow employee yesterday. My boss is on vacation this week, and for the first time I've been tasked with working on a sales and commission report for the previous month. The numbers aren't working out due to a variety of difficult problems, so I'm pretty stressed out about it. I don't want to be an accountant.

I got a nice e-mail from Drew yesterday. We are separated by 600 miles, and that's about 600 miles too many. I'm not sure why his desk was elevated in this dream, unless it means that I hold him in high esteem, which is true.

There's more than a hint of anxiety in this dream. I'd prefer that my boss was around to help out with some of the headaches at work, and I wish my brother was around on the personal side.

One more observation: there was definitely a "retro" feel to this dream. All of the desks were made of dark hardwood, and there wasn't a computer in sight. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a computer in one of my dreams. Apparently they don't exist in my alternate universe.

Dream 2

Well, I've heard that politics makes for strange bedfellows, but this is a little ridiculous. Hopefully there wasn't anything weird going on -- it was just two guys sharing an available bed. Who knows. As previously stated, I have been reading a book about Lincoln, and have learned that when he was out "riding the circuit" as a country lawyer, he and his fellow lawyers (and judges) had to bunk wherever and however they could, and that often meant "doubling up."

I am very much interested in Roosevelt; the biography "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris is one of my favorite books of all time. Also, I got on youtube not too long ago to look for film of TR, as well as that of other early 20th century presidents. There was some footage of Roosevelt visiting Europe after his presidency, but none showed him in a bed and breakfast.

One of my current projects involves the attempt to determine which presidents met each other, so that research might have filtered into this dream somehow. So far I've definitely linked TR with Presidents Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, McKinley, Taft and FDR. He was supposed to be on the same stage with ex-president Grant on February 14, 1884, at a meeting at Cooper Union in New York, but TR did not end up attending; both his wife and his mother died on that day. What a tragedy. But I digress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully there wasn't anything weird going on -- it was just two guys sharing an available bed.

I think you're thinking of Eleanor - much later than TR ;)