Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Cheerleader

Saturday night

I was going to the White House to see President Bush announce his enthusiastic support for presidential candidate John McCain. Most of my coworkers were already inside, as were members of the media, and my dad. As usual, I was the last to arrive. I didn't have an invitation, and I wasn't on the guest list, which was a problem. As the people in charge of the event tried to check up on me, I noticed that Dad was seated at a desk to my left. He told them that I was O.K. (Maybe he was there because he was a former reporter.) I walked through an archway that was emblazoned with a slogan decked out in red, white and blue. It read, "I'm a McCainiac!" I could see several of my coworkers off to my right, also seated at desks, but their desks were smaller than dad's. His was teacher-sized; theirs were the type that students might use in a classroom. I said hi to my friend Tracy, who was nearby, at the end of a row, and could see another friend, Maureen, off in the distance. I strolled past a large winding staircase which would have offered a very good elevated platform from which to see the president speak. Two surly junior staffer dudes prevented anyone from gaining access, apparently for security reasons. (Their looks seemed to say, "Don't even try it.") The president was standing on stage about 20 yards away, to my left, around the corner from the stairs, and was getting ready to make his pitch. Members of the press were sitting on the floor in front of him, so I thought I'd go down there and try to hook up with my brother, Andrew. But first, I'd noticed that everyone was eating a nice meal, featuring a chicken breast and some tasty-looking vegetables, so I thought I'd jump into the lunch line; I was awfully hungry. Seeing that I was not on the guest list, the chef looked at me and dropped a chicken wing on my plate. That's all I got. I finally made my way down front, where I heard Bush say that he supports McCain fully now that he's the Republican nominee, and he's pushing McCain to name CNN's John King as his VP.

*****

I'm an Obama fan. At this point, no matter who wins the general election, if Obama prevents Hillary from getting the Democratic nomination, I'm happy.

The winding staircase was probably the one in Professor Higgins' study. (As noted at the end of the previous dream, we watched "My Fair Lady" the other night.)

I've never liked chicken wings. There's nothing to 'em.

I told my wife about this dream on Wednesday evening (3/19). She said, "You're retarded."

No comments: