Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mr. Popularity / Oops

Sunday night

Dream 1: Mr. Popularity

A pizza parlor was running a pretty strange promotion. They were giving out free pizza to anyone who came in and farted. College student Sean Strub was so flatulent that he nearly bankrupted the place, but he got (and gave away) so much free pie, he was extremely popular with his fellow students at the restaurant.

Dream 2: Oops

I was standing outside of someone's house, by a pool. Suddenly a delivery man approached, and handed me a present in a large silver box and a bouquet of black roses. Not only had I forgotten that it was Valentine's Day; I had also forgotten that I was dating one of the women at the office. (The black roses were meant as a sardonic commentary on my forgetfulness. It was such an obvious statement, I couldn't possibly miss the point.) I found her inside the house and tried to make it up to her in my own way by suggesting that we go back to her place for a "quickie."

*****

Dream 1: Mr. Popularity

The night John Lennon was murdered, December 8, 1980, I was 18. I sat in my bedroom for hours, listening to Michael Del Colliano, the DJ at WAVA, who was alternately playing Beatles music and broadcasting updates from the wire services. I recorded his reports by holding my portable tape recorder near the radio. At one point he read a statement from an eyewitness at the scene, describing the killer as he was being led away by police. That eyewitness was Sean Strub.

Dream 2: Oops

Actually, the woman in question is one of the few coworkers with whom I don't get along.

No comments: