Thursday, March 20, 2008

Collage

Wednesday night

My wife and I were staying at a very nice, comfortable vacation resort. The walls and bed linens were a very fresh white. It seemed to be a bed & breakfast, or, at least it was a small hotel where guests would gather for meals. The hosts had left some very interesting books next to our bed for our enjoyment. One of them featured photographs of works of art created from found objects. My favorite was a street scene, showing a road that was flat on the left, but rose up to become a hill on the right. Along the left side of the road was a group of nice apartment buildings, all painted a beautiful, rich blue; sort of an indescribable aquamarine color, whatever that means. When I looked closer at the photograph, I realized that the apartments were actually made of old door hinges that the artist had cut and arranged (next to each other, in stair-step fashion) to look like buildings, complete with little square windows punched in them, all painted in the same beautiful blue hue. I was so taken with the picture that I brought the book to dinner and passed it around to show it to the other guests.

*****

Yesterday I finally finished getting my retirement savings plan(s) in order, something I've been working on for a few months, so maybe I was dreaming about traveling.

Last night we watched "The Bourne Identity." I suspect that the white walls and the deep blue of the apartments (in the dream) are related to the white buildings and the deep blue sea surrounding the French seaside resort shown at the end of the film.

Finally, we had a ton of rain here yesterday, which resulted in some standing water in the basement. (That's a pretty standard thing in our neighborhood.) My wife and I were discussing a basement cleanup, and I said that one thing I'd really like to do is to finally get an old refrigerator out of there. She said that we could do that, but we'd have to get some folks to help out, and we'd need to remove the doors from their hinges. Thus, hinges made an appearance...

No comments: