Saturday, March 22, 2008

Southwest Style

Friday night

My wife and I were in a big bar or honky tonk somewhere in Texas, soaking up the atmosphere. The music was pretty good; it was flavored with Mexican accents, and the joint was jumpin'. I said, "This is the type of country music I like; it's got some spice to it." Just then, we noticed two serious-looking cowboys face off in a duel, of sorts, that had nothing to do with guns. Each wore a black cowboy hat, and both had dark mustaches. They faced each other, and each stood in the same odd pose; one that seemed to be copied from Charlie Chaplin's "Little Tramp" character, or maybe from a talented ballet dancer. Each man's heels touched each other, but their feet were facing in opposite directions. The two men were about to dance together, but it wasn't a gay thing, it was a very macho display, to convince the ladies in attendance which one was the better man. Suddenly one of the participants raised his right foot, then stamped it down, followed by his left foot doing the same, and his right foot again; BAM! BAM! BAM! His face was deadly serious, and he looked right in his rival's eye, as he mirrored every step. Next, he did the same sequence again, only starting with his left foot. These series of movements continued until the dream ended: right-left-right, left-right-left, right-left-right...


*****

The "left-right-left" sequence could refer to military marches, but I don't really think that that had anything to do with it. More than anything else, these two fellas reminded me of rival birds dancing to impress their mates in the "Planet Earth" documentary.

Last night, my wife made a fantastic dinner that consisted of a nice piece of halibut covered with a topping made of some fresh green veggies of some sort, mixed with red pepper, olive oil, garlic and various other things that I can't recall. It was hot enough to make my nose run, but it was incredibly tasty. I remember her saying, "Did you ever think you'd like something this spicy?" I said that I never knew about this type of thing when I was younger; we didn't eat really spicy food in our house when we were growing up, but I've learned to love it now. Anyway, I suspect that that conversation about dinner is why we were discussing spicy music in this dream. I'll take a little Tejano music over straight country any day.

No comments: