Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Success

Friday night

I was flipping through a magazine when I came across a full-page black and white advertisement, one in a series that featured successful people, meaning that they had attained success on their own terms. This one featured director Kevin Smith, frolicking in the snow with his dog, next to his great stone-fronted mansion in Idaho. The figure of $150 million dollars figured in there, too; maybe he had amassed that much of a fortune.

*****

We watched "My Fair Lady" the other night, in which Professor Higgins sang "I'm an ordinary man who desires nothing more than an ordinary chance to live exactly as he likes and do precisely what he wants." People featured in the magazine ads seemed to live by that philosophy.

I know who Kevin Smith is, but I don't think I've ever seen one of his movies.

No comments: