Friday, March 28, 2008

Moon Museum

Sunday night

I was hanging onto a metal railing protruding from the bottom of a small satellite that was floating in space. Well, it wasn't really a satellite; it was a small round building, big enough to hold a handfull of people and a few exhibits. It was a moon museum, designed to get people interested in taking a trip there. Anyway, I was hanging off of this railing, untethered, and it was pretty scary, but I was able to clamber back inside all right. Once I had gotten back to safety, I found myself in a cramped hallway, looking at large, seemingly identical black and white photographs of mountains that were hanging on opposite walls. Visitors were supposed to guess which of these peaks were on the earth, and which were on the moon. I had no idea. They looked identical to me. I asked one of the guides, "Will we be able to breathe there [on the moon]?

*****

The bit about hanging from the railing at the bottom of the floating orb may have been taken from "The Empire Strikes Back," after Han Solo had the unfortunate meeting with his daddy.

No comments: