Thursday, March 20, 2008

Match Play

Monday night

Sam F. and I were facing Ed M. and Mike K. in a game of table tennis. It really did seem like tennis, because this was a much larger and longer Ping-Pong table than usual, and there were piles of debris on either side, near the net. Sam seemed to want to be taking charge of the proceedings. At one point he asked me if I thought that the opposing team's serves were hitting the correct parts of the table. Shortly thereafter, it was my turn to serve, and I'd be sending the ball from right to left, across to Eddie. As I prepared my "windup" for the long serve, I backed up, into a large dog (a poodle mix) that was sitting behind me. When I turned around, the dog was no longer a dog; it was Mike, kneeling in the dog's place.

*****

All of these players are poker buddies, old friends that I met in the 1970s.

No comments: