Friday, March 7, 2008

This Is the Modern World

Wednesday night

My wife and I were visiting our nieces and nephews in Virginia, and I had given the kids a special metal train. Not only did it move, but it had sought out their wooden toys and destroyed them. Their dad, Jim, saw it in action, and was outraged and angry. He turned around and said, "WHO GAVE THIS TO THEM?!"

*****

These kids are being brought up in a very strict Catholic household, and are home-schooled. They can't watch TV unless it's a video approved by their parents; they aren't allowed to Trick-or-Treat on Halloween, and now the three girls are forced to wear "Little House on the Prairie"-style dresses. In other words, they aren't allowed to wear jeans. Ever. I see this dream as their aunt and uncle trying their best to sneak in a little corrupting influence for their own good.

The last time their family visited us here, there were a few occasions when my wife and I had a couple of the kids in the car. We played Springsteen's "Born to Run" CD for them. I hope it sunk in a little bit.

No comments: