Friday, March 28, 2008

Didn't Need to See That

Thursday night

I was standing in my parents' bedroom on Dinwiddie Street, sorting through a stack of clean laundry that I'd dumped on the bed. My aunt (Dad's sister -- "Sis") was there too, standing next to me. As I sorted through the white clothes I came across a T-shirt that I'd had printed up for a birthday party my brother Andrew and I had thrown for each other some years before. It featured a large black and white blowup of a photo taken of Drew and me on our fourth birthday, in 1966. Sis saw the shirt. Not only did she decide that she had to have it; she had to try it on then and there. She took off her shirt in my presence, and put on the T-shirt. It didn't fit right, so the neckline was stretched, and it "stuck out" in places. I turned away and said, "TOO MUCH INFORMATION!"

*****

Those T-shirts did exist; we only made two of them. I haven't thought of them in years.

No comments: